Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Acceptable tolerances for bullet weight?

I got some 77gr .223 pulls. I weighed and I got 149 77gr and 104 75.5gr. Isn't 1.5gr pretty substantial? tia

Title
    Premium Member
    It's been kinda crazy for me. I've weighed bullets that were all over the board that grouped really well and I've have consistent weight bullets group really well. And I've had some that no matter what never shot well. The biggest secret in competition shooting is the head game. If you think it makes your groups tighter it probably will. At reasonable ranges out of hunting type rifles I've never noticed a difference. In target rifles I have noticed a difference at extended ranges. If I sort bullets then I also sort brass and turn necks the whole package seems to make a difference. All of my hunting stuff I do not waste the time.

Title
    Premium Member
    This is their response. Are they saying that the 77gr smk is plated and the acceptable tolerances are 2-3gr from Sierra?

John,

Sorry for the delayed response. Typically, a plated projectile will be 2-3 grains different than what they advertise. These were made by Federal and advertised in their ammo as 77gr projectiles. Being a plated projectile made cheaper than an FMJ they tend to have lower tolerances for the final product. Differences usually come from the thickness of the electro-plating or extra lead at the end of the projectile. They don't have those issues with FMJ because the Jacket is pre made and causes the lead to form to it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk